Become a Member
Membership of a Congregation
“In Jesus Christ, God calls people to faith and to membership in the Church, the body of Christ. . . . No person shall be denied membership
for any reason not related to profession of faith. . . .
Membership in the Church of Jesus Christ is a joy and a privilege. It is also a commitment to participate in Christ’s mission.
A faithful member bears witness to God’s love and grace and promises to be involved responsibly in the ministry of Christ’s Church.
- Proclaiming the good news in word and deed,
- Taking part in the common life and worship of a congregation,
- Lifting one another up in prayer, mutual concern, and active support,
- Studying Scripture and the issues of Christian faith and life,
- Supporting the ministry of the church through the giving of money, time, and talents,
- Demonstrating a new quality of life within and through the church,
- Responding to God’s activity in the world through service to others,
- Living responsibly in the personal, family, vocational, political, cultural, and social relationships of life,
- Working in the world for peace, justice, freedom, and human fulfillment,
- Caring for God’s creation,
- Participating in the governing responsibilities of the church, and
- Reviewing and evaluating regularly the integrity of one’s membership, and considering ways in which one’s participation in the worship and service of the church may be increased and made more meaningful.”
(PCUSA Book of Order, G-1.0301, G-1.0302, G-1.0304)
Ready to become a member?
If you are interested in becoming a member of First Presbyterian Church, begin by talking with a pastor, elder, deacon, or other current member or by marking “Want to Join This Church” on the Ministry of Friendship register in the pew on Sunday morning. Be sure to also include your contact information so we can be in touch! Once you have spoken with a pastor, you will be invited to attend a meeting with some of our church leadership. You will likely be asked to share a bit about your faith journey/story and what brought you to First Presbyterian Church. You will also be asked to affirm that Jesus Christ is your Lord and Savior (this is the profession of faith referenced in the first paragraph on this page). After our church leadership has welcomed you as a member, the pastors will work with you to find a Sunday when you will be in worship to be introduced to the congregation.
Every other year, Confirmation is offered for our 8th and 9th graders who may then decide to affirm their faith before church leadership and in worship.